07 Nov Regular Dental Check-ups Are Smile Savers
Adult Dentistry of Ballantyne takes pride in offering a relaxed, professional and comfortable atmosphere. Whether you are coming in for a standard check-up, whitening appointment, dental implant procedure or a restoration such as a same-day crown or veneers, Dr. Robert Harrell and the talented team want to ensure you have the best dental experience possible. The following tips can help us make the most of your dental visit.
What’s New With Your Medical History?
As we typically see the majority of our clients every 4-6 months, a lot can happen with your health between visits. Did you know that a variety of ailments can dramatically influence the quality of your smile and vice versa? Your endocrine system and heart may seem unrelated to your mouth, but guess what? Endocrine disorders such as diabetes can drastically influence the health of your smile. Similarly, not flossing on a regular basis can leave you digesting copious amounts of plaque bacteria that wreak havoc on your cardiovascular system. Please update your medical history with us if you begin taking any new medications or have a recent health diagnosis that is not currently on your file.
Suggested items to include on your patient registration form:
- Recent heart surgery (within the last six months)
- Artificial heart valve(s)
- Congenital heart defect
- History of rheumatic fever
- History of heart murmur/mitral valve prolapse
- Knee, joint or hip replacement surgery
- Previous bacterial endocarditis
- Current or past smoking
- Any allergies (including latex allergy)
- If you are pregnant
- Any health problem or medical condition for which you are currently being treated. More details at Know Your Teeth
Are You Suffering From Bruxism
Bruxism (teeth grinding) is one of the most destructive traits for teeth and many patients have no idea they even suffer from it. Often they find out when a spouse or partner mentions it in relation to sleeping (or the lack thereof). In other cases, patients first notice they are waking up with sore jaw muscles and headaches. And sometimes, the smooth grooves in the teeth detected during a patient’s check-up are the first indication. These can all be signs that a custom night guard is needed to protect your teeth. At Adult Dentistry of Ballantyne, simple impressions are taken and a guard is customized for you at our dental lab. Before you know it, you (and your loved one) are sleeping in comfort and silence once again. Check out the most common symptoms of bruxism below.
Signs and symptoms of bruxism may include:
- Teeth grinding or clenching, which may be loud enough to awaken your sleep partner
- Teeth that are flattened, fractured, chipped or loose
- Worn tooth enamel, exposing deeper layers of your tooth
- Increased tooth sensitivity
- Jaw or face pain or soreness
- Tired or tight jaw muscles
- Pain that feels like an earache, though it’s actually not a problem with your ear
- Dull headache originating in the temples
- Damage from chewing on the inside of your cheek
- Indentations on your tongue
When to see a doctor
See your doctor or dentist if:
- Your teeth are worn, damaged or sensitive
- You have pain in your jaw, face or ear
- Others complain that you make a grinding noise while you sleep
- You have a locked jaw that won’t open or close completely
If you notice that your child is grinding his or her teeth — or has other signs or symptoms of bruxism — be sure to mention it at your child’s next dental appointment. Additional info at Mayo Clinic
Be Proactive With Your Dental Care
Life is busy. It’s easy to forget about your oral health with the intense schedules most of us keep, but you really shouldn’t. Preventative maintenance isn’t just important for your car. Being proactive with your dental care is the best way to ensure that your smile remains healthy and brilliant.
Book your check-up at Adult Dentistry of Ballantyne today and stay on top of your oral health. Call 704-541-9888 or use the contact form on this page to set an appointment. We look forward to seeing you and your smile soon.